Intermec IF2 Network ReaderSource: Intermec, Inc.
The IF4 is a simple reader or “peripheral device”, with best in class dense reader mode performance, specifically designed with a RS232 port for a cost effective solution for implementing RFID by attaching the reader to a programmable logic controller (PLC). When identifying relatively small numbers of items at a time, such as boxes traveling on multiple conveyor belts, cost savings can be achieved by deploying a single IF4 reader with four antennas instead of installing four separate readers with one antenna each.
The Intermec IF4 serial reader is the ideal RFID peripheral for applications where an edge server or Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) is used for process control. The IF4 reduces the communications burden on the network and processing demand on the host PLC. While reading and writing RFID labels and tags, the IF4 uses an air-interface protocol for filtering out unneeded tag data caused by multiple reads and tags not required for the application.
General purpose input/output (I/O) circuitry enables the IF4 to monitor and/or control peripheral devices while keeping the cost of ancillary equipment and instal¬lation down. After the IF4 controls the selection of appropriate tags for reading, it then combines its pre-configured application parameters with the information from the selected tags in order to activate external sensors as well as control audible and visual indicators.
- An intelligent peripheral – capable of internal filtering to reduce network traffic
- Software configurable to read/write EPC Class 1, EPC Gen 2 and ISO 18000-6b tags
- Factory configurable to operate in 865MHz, 869MHz, 915MHz or 950MHz RFID bands
- Directly monitors and controls presence detectors and signal lights
- Downloadable firmware for migration path to ISO 18000-6c